Ashcott Homestead

Original Filename: Ashcott_House_edited.jpg (view)

Original Size: 884.6 KB

Original Image Type: image/jpeg

Ashcott Homestead.

Caption

Ashcott Homestead probably taken in the 1890's before the macrocarpa hedge had grown up.   The original settler, John Tucker and his brother Walter, originally lived in two huts joined together.   The walls were lined with old English newspapers such as the London Illustrated News.   John Tucker built on to the huts in the 1880's as his family increased to five children.   The name Ashcott came from the Tucker brothers home town in Somerset, England.   John Tucker returned to England in the early 1860's and married Maria Bailey.   Walter Tucker returned to England and then emigrated to Ontario, Canada.   John brought his bride to Ashcott in the late 1860's.   He changed his name to A'Deane in order to qualify for a substantial gift of property in England.    This property was gifted to the Bailey family on condition that a male member take the name of A'Deane.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion