Motuotaraia Homestead

Original Filename: bandicam_2016-10-11_21-40-01-625.jpg (view)

Original Size: 110.3 KB

Original Image Type: image/jpeg

Motuotaraia Homestead.

Caption

Motuotaraia Station (W. Sanders, proprietor);

Robert Johnstone, manager), Wanstead. This valuable freehold property was acquired by Mr. Sanders in the year 1879, and contains nearly 15,000 acres of good grazing country. The winter stock comprises 26,000 Corriedale Merino-Lincoln cross-breds, and a herd of 800 head of polled Angus cattle. There is also a stud flock of Lincolns, numbering 300. As many as 35,000 sheep have been carried in the summer season. Lambing averages about ninety per cent. The wool is invariably sent direct to the Home market. The wool-shed, a large up-to-date building, 112 feet long by 40 feet wide, is fitted with sixteen stands of Wolseley shearing machines, driven by an eight horse-power Hornsby engine. Upwards of 100 miles of fencing have been erected. The homestead is a two-storeyed house, sheltered from the wind by large plantations of pines, blue gums, and other trees.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion