Topic: Waipukurau

Topic type:

Waipukurau is the largest centre in Central Hawke's Bay.

Ruataniwha St, Waipukurau 1893

Ruataniwha St, Waipukurau 1893 looking eastwards

History

 

The town of Waipukurau was founded by pastoral runholder Henry Russell as a model village in the 1860s. He envisaged a town containing a few well-to-do families, a group of tradesmen and artisans, and a parson. Russell retained ownership of the town sections, which he leased to residents (they were later made freehold). Residents were carefully selected and Russell approved plans before houses were built. He built community facilities, commercial buildings and small workers' cottages.

 

Russell also planted tress, gave land for reserves, schools and churches and served as a magistrate

Go to the Te Ara website for more background on Waipukurau.


 

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Waipukurau


City:Waipukurau