Topic: Flemington and the Porangahau Purchase

Topic type:

History of Pakeha land purchase in the Flemington District

Most of the Flemington district falls within the area of the Porangahau Purchase. This is an area of 130,000 areas running from the southern edge of the Hapuku Block down to Cape Turnagain. There was much opposition to the sale from the local Maori population notably from Henare Matua and Te Ropiha.

In March 1853, Donald McLean, accompanied by J D Ormond, an accountant, and two pack horses left Lake Wairarapa for Hawke's Bay. Their objective was to purchase more land in the province. Negotiations were long and difficult and complicated by the fact that there were already a  number of illegal squatters on the land.

Settlement was achieved in 1857.

The block became Crown Land and the price was fixed at 3000 pounds. A rush of gridironing began which has as its legacy the odd shapes that many properties retain to this day.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Flemington and the Porangahau Purchase


City:Flemington
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Flemington and the Porangahau Purchase by Ngai Deckard is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License